2023 Call for Research Proposals
Research aims to build evidence or data that demonstrates milk & dairy’s contributions to nutrition security & sustainable nutrition.
The purpose of this call for proposals (CFP) is to build evidence or data that demonstrates milk and dairy’s contributions to nutrition security and sustainable nutrition. We are especially interested in projects that:
- Improve equitable access to milk and dairy foods through nutrition assistance programs, such as the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program
- Addresses milk and dairy’s role in fostering positive health outcomes, specifically during pivotal life stages such as pregnancy, early childhood and school-age years
- Analysis to guide and inform decision making of PSE nutrition interventions that advance nutrition security, and build healthy, sustainable food systems.
Proposal ideas might include:
School nutrition environment
- California’s Universal School Meals and impact on access, demand or consumption of milk and dairy foods.
- Bulk milk dispensers versus individual milk containers on food waste, feasibility and consumption.
- Impacts of sugar and/or sodium reduction efforts on positioning of dairy products such as flavored milk, yogurt or cheese.
- Qualitative analysis of Health Care Providers of pregnant women and toddlers, assessing milk and dairy recommendations after intervention.
- Feasibility of providing culturally diverse dairy foods in the WIC package. Examples include Hispanic-style cheeses, drinkable yogurts and fermented dairy beverages such as kefir.
- Needs assessment for cultural perspectives and values of dairy foods of participants (specifically parents, children and families) utilizing federal nutrition assistance programs.
Types of Studies
All studies must have a clear research question with a rigorous study design. A variety of research designs and analyses (qualitative, mixed methods, etc.) are encouraged including mixed methods to answer the research questions. Studies could include experimental or quasi-experimental studies; evaluations of PSE interventions or natural experiments; financial, economic, or cost-effectiveness studies; or qualitative analyses.
Up to $100,000 for 12 months (based on the fiscal year July 1st – June 30th), for up to 3 years total, for a maximum of $300,000. Awards will be made directly to the principal investigator’s home institution. Indirect costs (up to 12% for U.S. colleges/universities and hospital or health systems; up to 20% for nonprofit organizations; and 0% for for-profit organizations or government entities) are included in the total project awards per Dairy Council of CA budget guidelines.
Proposals are encouraged to include the following:
- Rationale of the project
- Research question and aims
- Feasibility of the research design
- Alignment with the strategic goals and topics described in the CFP
Please email proposals to [email protected]
Concept Paper Deadline: May 4th, 2023 (4 p.m. PT)
Full Proposal Deadline (by invitation only): May 25th, 2023 (4 p.m. PT)